December 15, 2016Doug Hadden
Unfortunately, we were overly optimistic, about 39% accurate on the 4 predictions made:
- Machine Learning and artificial intelligence becomes the big data topic of the year.’Siri’ and ‘Watson’ are the thin edge of this trend. Big data enhances machine learning capabilities. The dark side of this trend is that it will threaten organizations whose business model is based on information asymetry and human analysis. (The ‘future of work’ is a separate subject.) And, the ethics of artificial intelligence will become a more visible issue. Results: Yes ~100%
- Big data becomes production relevant in 2016. Big data is no longer of early adopters, pragmatists enter the market. This might not mean end-to-end big data analysis – it could be marketing or cybersecurity big data only in many pragmatic organizations. Spending increases significantly. Results: Partly at best ~10%
- Big data enables the move towards predictive and prescriptive analytics in 2016, particularly around customer service in large companies. This will have a much larger impact than collaborative filtering and will become a competitive differentiator. Results: Anecdotal evidence suggests that this is true ~33%
- Big data helps change the world in 2016 – improved public policy through data-driven decisions, new insights from open data, more “smart governments.”More open data will be visualized to help communicate with citizens. Results: Continues to be a strong resistance to data-driven decisions ~10%
The following two tabs change content below.
Doug is responsible for identifying new global markets, new technologies and trends, and new and enhanced internal processes. Doug leads a cross-functional international team that is responsible for developing product prototypes and innovative go-to-market strategies.
Latest posts by Doug Hadden (see all)
- 7 Reasons why Government Procurement Reform needed for Smart Cities - May 11, 2017
- The FreeBalance Approach to Public Investment Management Software - May 9, 2017
- Why is Public Investment Management Integration Important? - May 9, 2017
- How can Enterprise Software enable Public Investment Management? - May 9, 2017