June 28, 2009Doug Hadden
FreeBalance is a global provider of software solutions for public financial management (PFM). PFM is an essential part of the international development process. FreeBalance solutions support government modernization, fiscal decentralization, and public finance reform across all levels of government.
Financial, human resources and enterprise resource planning software is typically designed to support different businesses. Many enterprise-class software products are deployed to private and public sector customers. Software engineers understand that any general-purpose software “architecture” is a compromise and is not ideal for all customer contexts.
The government context is different from the private sector context. Effective product and technology design for the government context improves success rates in government Integrated Financial Management Information Systems (IFMIS) implementations.
The purposes of this section is to describe:
- Public Financial Management (PFM) user and functional needs that require a unique technical design.
- The FreeBalance Accountability Platform functional design and how it addresses requirements from advanced G8 to emerging country governments.
- The FreeBalance Accountability Platform technology design and how it addresses government functional and non-functional needs while supporting software engineering best practices.
- 5. FreeBalance Technology Overview
- 5.1 Public Financial Management Design
- 5.2 Core Government Financial Management Requirements
- 5.3 FreeBalance Non Functional Technical Requirements
- 5.4 FreeBalance Technical Approach
- 5.4.1 Configuration and Progressive Activation
- 5.4.2 Software Engineering Best Practices
- 5.4.3 Focus on Government Financial Management Requirements
- 5.5 FreeBalance Accountability Platform Technical Structure
- 5.6 Conclusions