February 5, 2011Doug Hadden
Doug Hadden VP Products
Financial transparency was the main subject of a panel earlier this week at the World Bank. I had the privilege of joining Dmitry Kachaev, Kevin Merritt and Neil Fantom on the the panel . Dmitry Kachaev is the former Director of Research and Development, Office of the Chief Technology Officer, in the D.C. Government and is a Government 2.0 thought leader. Kevin Merritt is the Founder & CEO of Socrata and is a strong advocate for open government data. (I have to admit that I like the Socraa trademarked tag line “Making Data Social”.) Neil Fantom is the Manager, Development Data Group, Development Economics Vice Presidency at the World Bank. The World Bank is a recognized leader in making aid information accessible, open and transparent.
Transparency is an opportunity for developing countries for governance “leapfrog.” The Government of Timor-Leste will shortly be releasing an on-line budget transparency portal. This portal provides 10 years of budget execution data with interactive drill down and export to numerous machine readable formats. There are a few important points about this move to open data in government:
- The paradigm is changing to direct engagement of citizens with current machine readable information
- Open data is enabled by open systems
- Open systems and open data have been maturing
Transparency and open data have become important components of PFM reform. This should not be seen as stand-alone “government 2.0″ initiatives, but part of an overall strategy. In the case of Timor-Leste, the strategy includes decentralization, procurement reform and performance management through manager and minister dashboards.
The embedded presentation includes the full script used at the panel – plus additional information and links.
Latest posts by Doug Hadden (see all)
- Smart and Open Government News Digest - October 8, 2017
- Country Development and Public Financial Management News Digest - October 6, 2017
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability News Digest - October 6, 2017
- GovTech and GRP News Digest - October 6, 2017