July 25, 2017Doug Hadden
Interesting news from last week in PFM and development, found by our FreeBalance Strategy and Innovation Group.
US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES BILL CUTS WORLD BANK FUNDING BY HALF: Reporting by Bethany Allen-Erahimian in Foreign Policy, Michael Igoe and Sophie Edwards in Devex, describes huge proposed cuts in American foreign aid.
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS IN THE NEWS
- Gap between SDG indicators and reality and need for new ways for poorest countries to finance SDGs from Amy Lieberman in Devex: https://www.devex.com/en/news/90675 https://www.devex.com/news/poorest-countries-need-new-ways-to-finance-sdgs-un-report-says-90699/
- Mexican Ministry of Finance publishes plan to meet SDGs: http://www.transparenciapresupuestaria.gob.mx/work/models/PTP/Presupuesto/Documentos_anteriores/mexico_sdg.pdf
- Slow progress to towards SDGs, from Mark Smulian in Public Finance International: http://www.publicfinanceinternational.org/news/2017/07/un-chief-warns-slow-progress-towards-sdgs
- Transparency International on importance of anticorruption to achieve the SDGs: http://anticorru.pt/f
ADVANTAGES OF PUBLIC PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS: Michael Della Rocca of McKinsey provides a business case of P3s to clarify responsibilities, improve strategic alignment, project controls and resource optimizations. The rising advantage of public-private partnerships
WHY IS SOUTH-SOUTCH COOPERATION BETTER FOR DEVELOPMENT: Fábio Rúben Lopes Paulos in the International Development Journal makes the case for why the “Western” vision is not always best for development.
Latest posts by Doug Hadden (see all)
- Smart and Open Government News Digest - October 8, 2017
- Country Development and Public Financial Management News Digest - October 6, 2017
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability News Digest - October 6, 2017
- GovTech and GRP News Digest - October 6, 2017