July 8, 2011Doug Hadden
Doug Hadden, VP Products
The governments of Timor-Leste (May 20, 2002), Kosovo (February 17, 2008) and South Sudan (July 9, 2011) use the FreeBalance Accountability Suite for managing public finances. (Also, the newest Canadian Territory, Nunavut (April 1, 1999).
And, post-conflict countries who run FreeBalance software have shown better public financial management reform results than those that do not.
Unfair Reputation in Post Conflict?
Many have remarked that FreeBalance is the de facto standard for post-conflict government financial management. And, the de facto standard for fast implementations. (Kosovo: 26 days, South Sudan: 30 days).
These remarkable successes can give a false impression about FreeBalance. Many observers wonder about the ability of FreeBalance software to operate in more advanced economies. Here are some interesting facts:
- FreeBalance software is used by more Government of Canada departments than any other financial management vendor.
- The ability to work under stressful conditions makes FreeBalance a low-risk solution in any emerging economy.
- FreeBalance software is progressively activated – without the need for expensive software code customization to meet government needs.
- Unlike enterprise ERP vendors, the latest version of FreeBalance software is fully web-based: no client/server.
Prognosis for Government Resource Planning (GRP) in South Sudan
Like many countries, development in South Sudan should follow increasing government capacity and be based on country-specific needs. PFM modernization is enabled through the FreeBalance Accountability Suite through the addition of functional modules, activation of more advanced functions and decentralization. The experiences in Timor-Leste and Kosovo bode well:
- Modules: Kosovo expanded into Revenue and Purchasing, Timor-Leste to Human Resources, Budget Management, Dashboards, Procurement, Assets and Transparency Portals
- Progressive Activation: Kosovo and Timor-Leste have advanced functionality to support international standards and improve decision-making
- Decentralization: Kosovo has rolled out FreeBalance software to all government entities and decentralized decision-making. Timor-Leste is moving forward with decentrlization.
Latest posts by Doug Hadden (see all)
- 7 Reasons why Government Procurement Reform needed for Smart Cities - May 11, 2017
- The FreeBalance Approach to Public Investment Management Software - May 9, 2017
- Why is Public Investment Management Integration Important? - May 9, 2017
- How can Enterprise Software enable Public Investment Management? - May 9, 2017