May 17, 2011Matthew Olivier
James Elrick, PR Specialist
Edilberto C. de Jesus just wrote an excellent piece about Timor-Leste in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Published on 14 May 2011, the “Natural Resource Wealth Management” article describes both the author’s personal experience visiting Timor-Leste and the manner in which Timor-Leste has avoided the resource curse, known as the “Dutch Disease.”
The article also describes the challenges the government faces as it manages the revenue from its natural resources in a transparent manner to develop the capacity of its people and build a sustainable economy for its citizens.
A highlight of Timor-Leste’s achievements since gaining independence in 2002 includes:
- The Revenue Watch Institute and Transparency International placed Timor-Leste in the group of countries most transparent with government revenues
- In 2010, Timor-Leste achieved full compliance with the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), only the third country in the world to meet this standard
- An improvement of
- 14 places in the Human Development Index rankings
- 19 places in the Corruption Perception Index
- 7 places in the World Bank Doing Business Report
- And, between 2007 and 2009, Timor-Leste reduced the poverty incidence from 50 percent to 41 percent
Doug Hadden, Vice-President, Products at FreeBalance recently presented “Strengthening Public Financial Management through Transparency in Timor-Leste” at the 25th Annual International Consortium of Government Financial Management (ICGFM) conference in Miami.
This presentation describes how the Government of Timor-Leste employs the FreeBalance Transparency Portal and other mechanisms to create public financial management transparency to assist civil society, build infrastructure, set education goals, involve citizens, and improve government performance. The presentation describes how transparency was sequenced with other government reform.
Latest posts by Matthew Olivier (see all)
- FreeBalance Wins Most Innovative Public Sector Management Solution Award - February 9, 2017
- What’s with the rocks? - May 20, 2016
- Nation-building through good governance, accountability and transparency - February 5, 2016
- Happy Holidays! - December 23, 2015