January 21, 2015Doug Hadden
Doug Hadden, VP Products
There will be more talk of “digital disruption” in 2015. You’re probably already sick of hearing about “disruption”, “transformation” and “innovation.” The nuance in 2015 is that more people will begin to understand what digital disruption is all about. Of course, many will persist in thinking that digital is yet another channel and that digital doesn’t fundamentally change the nature of relationships. These people are wrong. Expect the backlash against digital to persist through 2015.
Social technologies – really social metaphors used in consumer products, have great promise to improve productivity and collaboration in enterprises. Vendors won’t get this right in 2015, especially those bolting on social features to existing products. ERP et al needs a social re-think.
Expect more citizen demand for electronic participation – the Arab Spring was but early days for governments.
- Impact of “digital disruption” will be related to culture and perception. There will be a change backlash – and regulatory backlash – that will add friction.
- It is still early days for “social” in the enterprise. Too many socially-enabled products are bolt-on. Nevertheless, there will be a gradual realization that legacy tools like e-mail are inefficient, inflexible and lack collaborative capabilities.
- Many will deny the impact of digital. They will see the “sharing economy” as nothing new. Or, social in the enterprise. Or, big data. Or, mobile.
- Citizens and customers to lead innovation. Expect more public participation in government and the use of digital technologies for customer led innovation. Governments and businesses that fail to use digital channels will find that power has shifted to individuals. Forget about controlling innovation or branding. The Arab Spring can happen to anyone. The grass roots grow in 2015.
Latest posts by Doug Hadden (see all)
- Technology to Speed Development in Emerging Economies - November 13, 2017
- Smart and Open Government News Digest - October 8, 2017
- Country Development and Public Financial Management News Digest - October 6, 2017
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability News Digest - October 6, 2017