Public finance innovation, with an emphasis on SDGs, will also be the subject for my upcoming ICGFM webinar in on May 4th. This blog entry summarizes some of my preparation. It will be updated between now and the webinar.
— Doug Hadden (@dalytics) February 9, 2021
What is desirable, feasible, and viable for public finance innovation?
This webinar explores focused innovation for governmental financial management: accounting, assets, audit, budgeting, liquidity, payroll, performance, procurement, and revenue. Innovation is contextualized for the post-COVID-19 VUCA (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguous) world. The question of whether agile, artificial intelligence, augmented reality, blockchain and the Internet of Things are solutions in search of problems will be addressed.
- Fiscal stewardship opportunity: how can financial innovation drive national development strategies, including support for the Sustainable Development Goals?
- Public Finance Innovation Framework (PFIF): what are the forms and structures of innovation within government?
- Problem-driven approaches: why are agile methods, even in government, critical for innovation that reflects country conditions?
- Digital and Public Financial Management: what is the role, if any, of digital transformation in PFM reform?
- Innovation success factors: how can governments optimize the return on innovation spend?
- Innovation toolset: what tools, techniques, and technologies can finance ministries leverage for innovation
- Innovation examples linked to PFIF: what kind of public finance innovations have been implemented, and what does the future hold?
Who Should Attend
- Any public finance or planning professional in government interested in government innovation
- Practical innovation structure and framework
- Show examples of public finance innovation in context to the framework
- Identify practical tools and techniques
Key Draft Slides
Here are some interesting sources:
- ACCA: Innovation in public finance
- Analytics Insight: Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Development
- Apolitical: 100 Climate Policy Breakthroughs
- Deloitte Doblin: Ten Types of Innovation
- FreeBalance blog: Government Change and Innovation, Lessons Learned from FreeBalance Customers
- FreeBalance blog: Innovation and the Modern Finance Ministry
- FreeBalance blog: Is Government Innovation an Oxymoron?
- FreeBalance blog: Leadership and Government Digital Transformation
- FreeBalance blog: Technology Foundation for Digital Transformation
- FreeBalance blog: What is Government Digital Transformation?
- Grant Thornton: Innovation in Public Financial Management
- Harvard Kennedy School, Ash Center: Funding Digital Government Initiatives
- Harvard Kennedy School, Ash Center: Public Finance Innovation Articles
- Harvard Kennedy School, Building State Capability: PDIA Toolkit
- IMF Connect: Using Digital Innovation to Improve Public Finance Outcomes
- IMF PFM Blog: Leveraging Public Budgets for the Sustainable Development Goals: The Case of Mexico
- IMF PFM Blog: Digital Innovation in Public Finance in South America