The third annual government H-20 (Happy 20) summit focused on wellbeing in public policy is taking shape. As described in a blog post last week, much like the G20 focuses on growth economics, the H-20 examines wellbeing economics. Social and cultural values differ among countries and within countries. Growth and GDP focus often disconnect policy from citizen aspirations. Science demonstrates the linkage between citizen perceived happiness and satisfaction in government performance.
The exciting preliminary agenda has been completed with many committed speakers. The morning session will set the stage for dialogue about peace, policy, national wellbeing, and smart prosperity. Discussions will include country examples about societal and national wellbeing policy challenges and good practices. The afternoon session will focus on happiness for good governance. Discussions will close with how policies that harness the power of human values foster smart social investment practices for lasting national peace and social cohesion.
Invited speakers, most of whom have committed to speak include:
- Manuel Meirinho Martins, President, Instituto Superior de Ciências Sociais e Politicas, Universidade de Lisboa
- Dr. Helena Águeda Marujo, Coordinator UNESCO Chair on Education for Global Peace, Sustainability & Executive Coordinator Post-graduation on Education for Global Peace, Sustainability, Instituto de Ciências Sociais e Politicas, Universidade de Lisboa
- Ambassador Antonio Sampaio Nováo, UNESCO
- Manuel Schiappa Pietra, CEO & President, FreeBalance
- José Manuel Pureza, Vice-Presidente da Assembleia da República Portugal
- Pilar Saborío de Rocafort, Former Ambassador of Costa Rica to the UK, Former Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to United Nations International Development Organization in Vienna
- Global Happiness Coalition, Alejandro Adler, Director, Well-being Science and Policy UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network
- Transparency, Peace & Happiness, Laura Chinchilla, President of Costa Rica (2010 – 2014)
- Human Values: A Driving Force in the Pursuit of Peace & Wellbeing, Dr. Sandro Formica, Professor, Florida International University
- The Future of Cities, Charles Landry, author, speaker and international adviser on the future of cities best known for popularising the Creative City concept.
- UK Case Study: Challenges & Opportunities of Measuring Wellbeing at the National & Local Level, Silvia Manclossi, Head of Quality of Life Team, Sustainability & Inequalities Division, Office for National Statistics